Operating System - Alternative to Windows
OpenSiteSolutions informing about integrators, hardware and Open Source solutions that can be used as an alternative to commercial software. Open source solutions are comprised of different software bundled together to create a unique and most times better solution than commercial software.
Open Source Alternative - BSD Based
- PC-BSD Open Source Desktop oriented operating system based entirely on freebsd geared towards windows u sers looking for a secure reliable alternative to windows based systems.
- Freesbie based on freebsd but can be booted and run directly from the CD allowing trial of the softw are before you decide to install this small fast open source system. Also can be customized depending on your liking.
- DesktopBSD desktop oriented version based on freebsd combining the stability of freebsd with the e ase of use of windows avalible for AMD and i386 systems.
- ReactOS is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a M icrosoft Windows XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface. ReactOS is the most compl ete working model of a Windows\xae like operating system available.
for educating users on freebsd
Open Source Alternative - Linux Based
- knoppix Free and Open Source Live Linux CD. Knoppix is a GNU/Linux distribution that boots and runs completely from cd. It includes recent linux software and desktop environments, with programs such as OpenOffice.org, Abiword, The Gimp, Konqueror, Mozilla, Apache, PHP, MySQL and hundreds of other quality open source programs.
- Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more. learn more about ubuntu
- Open Xange is an open source desktop that was modeled from the ground up to look and feel like windows vista. A complete and very easy to use operating system based on linux. A liveCD allows reviewing before installing
Other Ubuntu releases